About Self Advocacy Council 6
The SAC6 was created in May, 1992 by consumers at an area self-advocacy meeting and serves Area 6 — Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties. Two representatives from each self advocacy chapter in Area 6 can serve on the SAC6 board. Area 6 has representatives on the Valley Mountain Regional Center Board, the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) North Valley Hills Office, the Statewide Self-Advocacy Network (SSAN), and the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC).
- The representative of the Department of Developmental Services Consumer Advisory Committee is also a member of the SAC6. The elected leadership for SAC6 includes:
- Lisa Utsey, Chairperson and Treasurer
- Catrina Castro, Vice Chairperson
- Jessica Quesada, Secretary
- Crystal Enyeart, Sgt at Arms and VMRC Representative to the Board of Directors and Consumer Services Committee
- Only members of self-advocacy groups are members of SAC6 board. SAC6 also publishes a newsletter called
- The Chatter: May 2020
- The Chatter: Fall 2019
- The Chatter: Spring 2019
All Things Coronavirus Presentation – From May 8, 2020 SAC6 Zoom Chat
Coronavirus Scams and Fraud Alert 2020
Coronavirus Scams and Fraud Alert 2020 (Spanish)
SAC6 Zoom Chat every Friday
CHOICES 2020 has been cancelled due to the health and safety concerns of the participants. Please see the announcement, as well as the date for CHOICES 2021 of Friday, May 14, 2021.
The mission of the SAC6 is:
- Learn about issues that impact the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
- Tell the self-advocacy groups about important issues.
- Find out what the self-advocacy groups think about important issues.
- Find out what self-advocates want in their lives.
- Talk to people who make decisions for people with developmental disabilities, including VMRC and Area Board, and tell them what advocates want.
- Help the self-advocacy movement grow!