About Self Advocacy Council 6
The SAC6 was created in May, 1992 by consumers at an area self-advocacy meeting and serves Area 6 — Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties. Two representatives from each self advocacy chapter in Area 6 can serve on the SAC6 board. Area 6 has representatives on the Valley Mountain Regional Center Board, the State Council on Developmental Disabilities (SCDD) North Valley Hills Office, the Statewide Self-Advocacy Network (SSAN), and the Department of Developmental Services (DDS) Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC).
- The representative of the Department of Developmental Services Consumer Advisory Committee is also a member of the SAC6. The elected leadership for SAC6 includes:
- Lisa Utsey, Chairperson and Treasurer
- Catrina Castro, Vice Chairperson
- Jessica Quesada, Secretary
- Crystal Enyeart, Sgt at Arms and VMRC Representative to the Board of Directors and Consumer Services Committee
- Only members of self-advocacy groups are members of SAC6 board. SAC6 also publishes a newsletter called
- The Chatter: Fall 2019
- The Chatter: Spring 2019
CHOICES 2020 – Friday, April 3, 2020…more information to come
The mission of the SAC6 is:
- Learn about issues that impact the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
- Tell the self-advocacy groups about important issues.
- Find out what the self-advocacy groups think about important issues.
- Find out what self-advocates want in their lives.
- Talk to people who make decisions for people with developmental disabilities, including VMRC and Area Board, and tell them what advocates want.
- Help the self-advocacy movement grow!