ABOUT Self Advocacy Council 6 (SAC6 is the VMRC Consumer Advisory Council):
The SAC6 was created in May, 1992 by consumers at an area self-advocacy meeting and serves Area 6 — Amador, Calaveras, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties. Two representatives from each self advocacy chapter in Area 6 can serve on the SAC6 board. Area 6 has representatives on the Valley Mountain Regional Center Board, The Area 6 Developmental Disabilities Board, and the Statewide Self-Advocacy Network. The representative of the Department of Developmental Services Consumer Advisory Committee is also a member of the SAC6. Only members of self-advocacy groups are members of SAC6 board. SAC6 also publishes a newsletter called The Chatter.
The mission of the SAC6 is:
- Learn about issues that impact the lives of people with developmental disabilities.
- Tell the self-advocacy groups about important issues.
- Find out what the self-advocacy groups think about important issues.
- Find out what self advocactes want in their lives.
- Talk to people who make decisions for people with developmental disabilities, including VMRC and Area Board, and tell them what advocates want.
- Help the self-advocacy movement grow!